Monday, February 3, 2020

How to Teach Core Words: STOP

STOP

Here are my favorite activities for teaching the core word STOP.

Book
I like to start with books to increase exposure to the targeted word.  While I'm reading I point to the word on our core board.  My favorite book for this word is Stop, Train, Stop. 

Image result for stop train stop

Game
I love incorporating movement into my sessions since most of my young kids need it throughout their day.  My game for this word is STOP, GO which is really just an adaptation of red light, green light.  I make little stop and go signs and tape them to a popsicle stick.  The kids get to take turns holding the stick and saying stop or go while the other kids race to see who can get to the sign first.  This is a great game for teaching go as well.

Image result for stop              Image result for go

Song
This song is another great way to get your students up and moving and hopefully burn off some energy!   It's called "The Stop Song".

The Stop Song
Image result for stop song

Writing
Here is a worksheet that I've made to go along with my stop activities and helps the students work on their writing too!


Handout
Lastly, here is a handout that I made to give to teachers and families to encourage them to target the word throughout the week as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment